What to look for during the Final Walkthrough
The final walkthrough provides buyers an opportunity to confirm the completion of any repairs the sellers agreed to and ensure the property is in the same condition it was when their offer was accepted. New owners should pay close attention to detail to avoid costly oversights. Here is a checklist to guide you through the final walkthrough.
1. Confirm any items such as appliances, window treatments, or furniture that were included in the sale are present and in working order.
2. Flush all toilets.
3. Open and close all windows and make sure screens and storm windows are present.
4. Run the dishwasher and test every appliance.
5. Test the heating and air conditioning.
6. Run every faucet (tubs, showers, sinks) to ensure proper drainage and look for leaks.
7. Check the walls for any holes or damage (especially directly behind doors where a doorknob may meet the wall).
8. Run ceiling and exhaust fans, garbage disposal and garbage compactor.
9. Turn on every light fixture.
10. Verify that remote controls (like garage doors) have been left by the previous owners and are operational.
11. Test the alarm system and verify that a manual is present to instruct you on how to change the code.
12. Run the spa/hot tub/pool to ensure functionality.
13. Inspect the floors, railings, ceilings and steps for any damage that may have occurred during the move. Check the railings for stability.
14. Make sure the sprinklers work and the outdoor areas are satisfactory.
15. Confirm all belongings and debris have been removed from the property.