Archive for April, 2015
April 17, 2015 Leave a comment
April 11, 2015 Leave a comment
- One of the easiest ways to cut your heating and cooling bill is to make sure that your attic has seven inches (R-22) or more (up to R-49) of fiberglass or rock wool insulation.
- A simple step we often ignore-replace or clean your AC vents once a month.
- Don’t leave your bathroom ventilator running longer than necessary, as it can drain your entire house of cooled or heated air in about an hour!
- During the summer keep your drapes closed in the heat of the day.In the winter keep the south-facing window drapes open.
- Make sure all windows are caulked and weather-stripped to save 10% on your H/AC bill.
- White window shades or blinds will deflect the heat away from your house.
- Lower hot water costs by installing low-flow shower heads and faucets.
- Insulate your water heater and set its thermostat at 115° F.
- You can cut up to 50% on your lighting costs by replacing 25% of the bulbs in your main-use areas with fluorescent lighting.Fluorescent lights are more expensive but also last six to ten times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Plant trees ASAP. Well-placed trees will not only lower your energy costs but will increase the curb appeal of your home and make your yard a more enjoyable place to be.